Saturday, April 13, 2013

Detroit


I honestly had completely forgotten that the name of the play was Detroit after I read the title.  I noticed it at the beginning and when I read the descriptions of the setting and the characters.  The first sentence that is in the script is part of the description of the setting.  It says “Not necessarily Detroit.”  So, that was confusing right off the bat.  I might have questioned it briefly when I read that sentence, but then I really did not think about it again as I read through the play.  Perhaps it is a mistake to forget about the title of a play as you read it, but I usually do.  It doesn’t often influence my take on a script.  However, this time I suppose I have to think about it.  Personally, when I think of Detroit (the city), nothing notable comes to mind.  I don’t actually know anything about it.  In fact, I have to take a little second to remember what state it’s in. (Oh right, it’s Michigan. I even googled it just to be 100% sure so nobody would laugh at me.)  I’m sure that there are some notable facts about Detroit, but I think that it’s intentional that nothing in particular strikes me about that city.  Maybe it’s so that the reader or audience is able to easily find their way into the world of the play.  Instead of having preconceived notions about the culture of a certain place.  I still don’t think that’s the whole answer, though.  Because the question still persists, why Detroit?  Why not Phoenix or Seattle or Baton Rouge.  What is significant about that place that isn’t for the others?  There is no mention of the setting in the entire script, so why on earth is it titled Detroit?  I feel like I have the right questions, but I can’t figure out what the answers are.  Even on Lisa D’amour’s website, it just says “a city that might be Detroit.”

1 comment:

  1. Detroit is known for its automobiles. It was once very alive and a very well-known and highly-looked-upon city. It has gone soo downhill though and it's not that great of a city anymore. I believe this relates with the character's lives in a way that they used to be well-off and good, but all of them went in a downward spiral - just like the city, Detroit.

    ReplyDelete